Tuesday 3 December 2013

Day 3: Instigator Doppelbock



A real winter warmer! 8.5% with a deep round malt character and toasted aromas.



The Story:
Doppelbocks were the original liquid bread, intended to sustain monks through their feasts of advent and lent.  Our version is named in honour of "The Instigator", our original home-made bottle filler that seemed to instigate almost as many problems as it solved.  When that hard-working machine (or hardly working machine depending on your perspective that day) was finally de-commissioned, it was ceremoniously taken out to the back and destroyed with a baseball bat--a real Office Space moment.  Rest In Pieces. We hope you enjoy the flavour of this legend.

Tasting Notes:
Pours a red, copper colour with a marshmallow white head. Round complex character featuring toasted flavours, rich aromas, a deep hue and a full body.  Finishes sweet.

The Package:
Instigator Doppelbock is available in 650mL bottles seasonally; usually around early December.

10 comments:

  1. Day 3: Phillips Snowcase: Instigator Doppelbock Holiday Edition 2013

    WOW!! Just WOW! This 8.5% beer is truly amazing. Now being someone who has never had this beer before ever I got the chance to try it today. I have to say it does NOT taste like at 8.5% whatsoever it is very light on taste even though it is supposed to be used as “Liquid Bread” for the Friars in Munich. The smell had a bit of a wheat smell to it and it wasn’t bad it actually smelled quite appealing.

    On first pour there was a bit of head on it but still nothing major, and it came out a light amber colour. The carbonation was at a perfect level. First taste took me by surprise, I was expecting a bitter alcohol taste due to it being a 8.5% but it wasn’t even that. It tasted like it was a 5% beer and it was sweet too. It didn’t have much of a bitter taste to it. I can see why the Friars made this before fasting! I think I might have to find myself a few more Doppelbocks along the way! This I would get drunk off of and buy again in a heartbeat, and with its light taste, it wouldn’t be hard to get drunk off of it! So far this Calendar has made me want to open the next day’s stuff early, onto day four!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you guys for making sure it made it's way out to Calgary... it is a great taste of home for sure :)

      Delete
    2. WOW.....Absolutely loved this Doppelbock. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for this tasty treat!!

      Delete
  2. Loved this one! Looking forward to buying a few bottles to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a pleasant surprise for, as I have always seen the seasonal Instigator, but I often avoid "Doppelbocks" and "bocks." This beer reversed my apprehensions towards malty styles of brew, and I look forward to enjoying more Instigator in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sat near my Christmas tree by the fire and drank this with my cat. I was really sad. When it was gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Got a Kolsch day 3 and day 8 instead of this beauty :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. drop the brewery an email Dan, we'll see what we can do. info@phillipsbeer.com

      Delete
  6. i've been on a strict ipa diet lately but i really really really really enjoyed this bock. i'll be bock for more..

    ReplyDelete